Dr Alexander Cowan
Alex is Visiting Fellow in History at Northumbria University. He has published widely on European urban history in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, on European urban culture, and the social and cultural history of Venice. He is also the editor of the international journal, Parliaments, Estates and Representation. His current research interests include orality in early modern Europe, the rolevof urban gossip and urban communication in early modern Italy, and urban gender and space in Europe 1500-1950.
- Marriage Manners and Mobility in early Modern Venice
- Ashgate. 2007
- The City and the Senses. European urban culture from 1500 (edited, with Jill Steward)
- Ashgate. 2006
- Mediterranean Urban Culture 1400-1700 (edited)
- University of Exeter Press. 2000
- Urban Europe 1500-1700
- Arnold. 1998
- Venezia e Lubecca 1580-1700
- Il Veltro, translation of The Urban Patriciate. 1990
- The Urban Patriciate: Lübeck and Venice 1589-1700
- Böhlau Verlag. 1986
Other publications on urban culture
- 'Social derogation and political irresponsibility in early modern Venice' in F. Soddu (ed.) Acts of the ICHRPI conference in Alghero, Sardinia.
- Sassari, 2011
- 'Chaste widows and Lusty widows in early modern Venice' in A. Bellavitis and I. Chabot (eds), Famiglie e poteri in Italia tra Medioevo et Età moderna ().
- Ecole Française de Rome, 2009
- 'Gossip and Street culture in early modern Venice'
- Journal of Early Modern History, 2008
- 'Nodes, networks and hinterlands' in D. Calabi and S T Christensen (eds) Cities and Cultural Exchange in Europe 1400-1700
- Cambridge University Press. 2007
- 'Cities, towns and new forms of culture', in J. J. Martin (ed.)
- The Renaissance World Routledge. 2007
- 'Les étrangers et la ville, le cas d’un grand marchand néerlandais à Venise au dix-septième siècle'
- in A Burkhardt (ed.), Commerce, voyage et expérience religieuse à l'époque moderne (XVe-XVIIIe siècles), Presses Universitaires de Rennes. 2007
- 'Cultural Traffic in Lübeck and Danzig in the Seventeenth Century'
- Journal of Scandinavian History, 28 (3-4), 175-185. 2003
- 'Mogli non ufficiale e figlie illegittime a Venezia nella prima età moderna'
- Quaderni Storici 114 (3), 849-865. 2003
- 'Patricians and Partners in early modern Venice'
- in T. F. Madden & E. Kittell, (eds.), Medieval and Renaissance Venice. Studies in Honor of Donald E. Queller, (University of Illinois Press), 276-93. 1999
- 'The urban patriciate: an endangered species?'
- Historical Research, 64, 123-137. 1991